Hong Kong likes and dislikes – part 1

I’ve been living in Hong Kong for 3 months now and am starting to get to know the place and how it works. There are some things I love about the place, and there are some frustrating little niggles!

I’ll start with the dislikes first. This is a fairly light-hearted look at some of the things which annoy me!

1. Drips

Wherever I go, I seem to get dripped on! I’ve now learned to spot the small wet patches on the pavement and walk round them to try and avoid this. I’m sure that 99% of the time it’s just water leaking from air conditioning systems, but I really don’t want to know what it is the other 1% of the time…

2. Insect bites

This was really bad in summer. If I ever went outside without first covering myself in deet then I got covered in bites! And the worst ones blistered up into huge lumps that were bigger than the sun! Ok, I exaggerate, they were a couple of centimetres across though. Luckily, it’s not so bad at the moment. I like to think that I’m acclimatising but it’s more likely that there are just fewer biting insects around now that it’s cooler.

3. Walking past buses on a hot day

In the middle of summer, it’s sweltering here and just walking for a few minutes makes you sweaty. But just as you’re walking along, thinking about how hot it is and debating popping into the nearest 7Eleven where it’s air-conditioned, a bus stops right next to you and pumps even hotter air onto you! The people inside the bus are lovely and cool and you are stuck next to the air conditioning exhaust. Not fun.

4. Chopsticks

Tom and I love Chinese food, and there are so many varieties of it to try so we are having great fun here eating our way through Hong Kong. But some of the food is really hard to eat with chopsticks! One of Tom’s favourites is pork chop curry, but you are given one or two large pieces of meat in your curry which is really difficult to pick up! Or Gong Bao (Kung Po) chicken, which has peanuts in, is another meal that requires serious effort to eat.

5. Cantonese

I know it’s my fault for coming to a country which doesn’t use English words or even our alphabet (although luckily a lot of people do speak English here), but I really feel like I’m missing out on a certain aspect of Hong Kong life because I can’t speak or read Cantonese. I’m learning, but knowing how to say ‘here is my business card’ is only so useful. There are some adverts and restaurants which have only Chinese characters, so I have very little idea what they are selling! I’d better work a bit harder with my lessons…

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it. If there’s anyone local reading or if you’ve visited/lived here, what are your little niggles about Hong Kong? I’ll post my favourite things about this place next week!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Hong Kong likes and dislikes – part 1

  1. Pingback: Hong Kong likes & dislikes – part 2 « the Little Koo blog

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s